28 August 2007

Special Request

Hello, Everyone.

I've been in Peru for a little over a week now. I've had next to no online access after work. I wrote this last Tuesday...I wanted to get it out to you all...if you recall, there was an earthquake that hit basically in my hotel's backyard about 4 weeks ago here in Peru...

----------------------------------------------------------------
I just visited a part of Chincha that I never new existed. Even if the walls and "houses" were still standing and there were no signs of the 8.0 M earthquake 4 weeks ago, I would still be shaking my head.

There are three friendly gals that help keep the office area at the jobsite neat and clean. Their names are Luisa, Marta and Melchorita. Everyday they smile and offer to help us engineering types out by tidying up our desk areas and to give us a short break from the pencil pushing or emailing. Each of them lost their homes in the earthquake. I talked to Luisa during the day today and asked if there was anything she needed...anything I could help her out with. She said she needed water. I recalled seeing some 5-gallon jugs at the store yesterday and told her that I would be happy to bring some water by after work tonight.


Eder and I picked up a jug and made our way towards Gracio Prado, a section of Chincha. We met Luisa and her oldest daughter, Leslie, near a central park in town and proceeded to drive to places I never knew existed in Chincha. We all jumped into the truck and Leslie was our navigator as she sat on top of her mother's lap in the passenger's seat. A left turn here, followed by two rights, than another right around a wall that appeared to lead to a dead end...through a cluttered, bumpy dirt road maze lined with low-ceiling (if the buildings still had ceilings) brick and mud homes...maybe two rooms complete with dirt floors and a latrine next to the house. We came to a stop and were invited in. I grabbed the water jug and watched my step along the narrow footpath leading to a few dim lights up the way...my eyes trying to gather as much light from the full moon shining down through the trees to see where I was going.


I was greet with "Hellos" and "Thank yous" and then chuckles as I bumped my head on the top of the short doorway of a makeshift shelter as I stepped in. Reeded curtain walls and a tarp for a roof formed the five sides of the shelter; everything salvageable from the debris jammed in to a 10' x 15' room...for 6 people. One bed, a few chairs. A pungent odor dashing through the air near the entrance. Luisa's house is just one of many...I can't imagine. As I put the jug of water on a chair, it felt so inadequate...a lake-full of water is what was needed...water to drink, clean, wash away the rubble and spring new life, yet all I had to offer was 5 gallons.


This is how it is. Then comes along an angry shift in the earth's crust that causes so many people, with so little as it is, to lose what small bit of comfort they were able to build over the years and hold onto. How will a single mother of three young children, who works 60 hours a week rebuild her house? It puts me at a loss for words.

Nihal saw a glimpse of this in the direct aftermath of the earthquake...Eder saw it in Pisco (where there is more widespread destruction than Chincha) as he drove rescue crews from place to place to help search for victims in the rubble...And now I got my first glimpse of what will unfortunately be a familiar scene for many months to come.


Nihal and I talked this afternoon and both of us agreed to start a collection so we can help folks like Lusia...people who we know and have become friends with...and who lost so much. There were folks who comforted and helped Nihal amidst their homes collapsing. These same people make me smile everyday.


I'm taking up a collection starting today. I will use the money to buy goods/supplies/food and distribute to those who need a hand, especially those folks that Nihal and I know. We're asking for a few bucks to help these folks out. I'll keep a running total of the donations, and will buy the items and distribute accordingly. All purchases and donations will be accounted for and you will all be informed of how much/what/for whom. The only way I know how to collect funds being in Peru is for you all to write a check made out to me and send it to my mom and dad's house...I'll pay for the goods on my own and will then cash the checks upon my arrival back to IN in October.

I set up a new email account just for this. If you would like to donate send me an email with the dollar amount to: helpingchincha@gmail.com

Once you send me an email, I'll reply with my folks' address. I gurantee every dollar will go towards helping someone out who needs it. If you can't swing a donation, please consider a daily prayer for the victims of the earthquake and those folks who seem to be forgotten amidst it all. I'll keep you posted and if you have any questions, send me a line.

Thanks and God bless,


Scotty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've not read your blog, it seems for 2 weeks or so, boy I missed alot. A ton of excitement along with some real heart felt sadness for those poor people having to do without. I admire you for your kindness and willingness to do what help you can for those people,(friends). God Bless, and take care of yourself! Kim