Formalities...
Good evening, good morning, good afternoon. Peruvians are quite formal in their greetings. Whether it be answering the phone or at the start of a handshake, a friendly "Good ....., senor", is a formality that I've come to enjoy. I'm probably more guilty than most for speaking in what might seem like foriegn tounges to non-English speaking folks when I start spewing out jargon and vernacular that I've either gathered or concocted on my own over the years. Adding a bit of formality into my daily speech is a good exercise for me.
I've spent most of my time tonight putting together a report and uploading photos and more reports to an interactive workspace floating around somewhere in the binary abyss of cyberspace. The files are huge and my connection is slow, so before I begin the process of uploading a ton of site photos, I figured that I'd stop in and say hello.
Someone down the street had a party last night, but the music was so stinkin loud it sounded like it was in my room. I staggered down to the hotel office at a fuzzy 2:30 am to find out what in the hell was going on because at first, it sounded like someone in the hotel was having a grand old time. The cop that does night watch came by and I asked him if there was anything he could do. He said negative ghostrider (or something like that in Spanish), and I went staggering back up to my room wondering what the cops in Peru actually do. They obviously don't hand out traffic violations, otherwise, there wouldn't be any cars on the road. They don't cite people for disturbing the peace. Littering in the streets appears to be encouraged by the looks of hte wayside in Chincha. I guess as long as he keeps the banditos from kidnapping this gringo, it's a job well done.
The client representative that I work with and report to on a daily basis, Brad, is no exception. Brad has about 25 years of experience doing marine construction and design. Brad is a vocal and whitty Aussie of husky build in his mid 40s with a keen eye for recognizing problems before they arise. Besides wearing a pair of navy khakis, a blue denim shirt and contemporary RayBans every day, his frank nature is softened by his concern and mutual respect for his colleagues. I enjoy working with him as he always has something educational to profess...war stories of projects in the past or plans and schemes for the tasks at hand.
I find myself doing a daily balancing act where I want to open up to learn, but not so much to have green coming out of my ears. As my folks or Auntie Manka can attest to, I like to ask questions and learn new things. For now, I'm just trying to stay on top of what I need to do, do it well and hopefully pocket as much insight that I can from Brad and the other veterans moseying around the site.
I suppose it's time to call it a night. Got my mind set on a crepe-like flapjack filled with some sort of goodness for breakfast tomorrow. I'm not sure what that filling is, but it's damn good. I'll catch you on the flipside.
Scotty
4 comments:
Hey! I ejoyed the new pics. Those sealions were too cute they alone would have kept me there all day. And bring home some of those good recipes so we could learn some Peruvian eats, but only the stuff that don't hurt in any way. Kim, be safe.
Your family sure does know about the questions. You never stop. Ha BZ
Please be assured. That is a good thing. BZ
Okay Z, I think between the Incas, the bird dung and your recent GI issues, you've paid your fair share of "bowel dues" for the trip!!! Glad you're getting time to explore.
Post a Comment