30 May 2007

Grand theft larceny

Hello, everyone.

Right now it's about 7:45 Wednesday night. My belly's nice and full after eating a scrumptious dinny consisting of fantabulous chicken soup, a plate of chicken cooked in a light brothy/saucy thing and some fresh squeezed OJ. The best OJ I've ever tasted. On the food front, today's supper may have been one of the best all around meals I've had here in town.

I was supposed to enjoy my supper after doing some exercises on the jungle gym outside, but, I got a bit sidetracked. I came home, kicked off my boots and started to get changed into my warmups when I figured I ought to set my alarm for tomorrow morning since I was thinking about it. I pull open the nightstand drawer to set my cell phone alarm, but there's no telephony in there. I move things around, open the bottom drawer. Still no phone. It dawned on me that I could call myself and listen for the ring. Negatory...not a sound except for the bread man honking his blasted clown horn as he pedaled by the hotel. Pilfered, petty theft...call it what you want...that phone got swiped. Considering the phone is 3 years old, doesn't take any pictures and can't store any MP3s, it's not that major of a loss. I had quite a few numbers stored in that joker, though. I apologize in advance if you get an email from me in the next few weeks asking for your digits or if I seem completely dumbfounded when, for example, I find out I called Kathryn instead of my Asian brutha from anotha mutha KC.

Besides noticing that a kleptomaniac is cleaning my hotel room, I've noticed a few more things heading back and forth to work the last few days. At this point it seems fair to say that as a former cyclist, I've noticed many of the local Chinchuana's (folks from Chincha) ride bikes with their saddles at the correct height or too high even. Back in the states, I'd say that more than half of the folks that ride have their saddles too low. I'm quite impressed. Not only because the the locals set their saddles to the right height, but the simple fact that they have the ghoulies to ride on these roads!

The other thing that's become quite apparent is the recent lack of sunlight. Heavy misty fog has found it's way to the Peruvian coast. Days have been damp and gray with enough of a chill to add an extra layer. The once parched sandy landscape sand now sticks to boots and cakes to the undersides of work trucks and power equipment. The beach site seems to be a few degrees cooler than the office area, located just a few kilometers away. As you are all welcoming the warmth and longer days back at home, the South American winter is slowly making itself at home here.

I suppose it's time to catch up on a thing or two and then hit the hay. Adios.

Scotty

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's up with that klepto!!! Can you go to the front desk and complain? I guess going on the past, they would just look at you like you were an alien or something, but I sure would try. Surely, they keep track of who cleans what room. I don't know, man, what luck! Hey, know what tommorrow is??? I do. Love ya, Kim.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out of town so Happy Birthday early.

cscs

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kim...

I know tomorrow is June 1 and I know that June 1 is 5 days before June 6th which is the anniversary of the landings at Normandy, but beyond that, I don't know the significance of June 1. Do you mean June 2 :P

Anonymous said...

I think your Sister is confused. Give her a break she is a busy kid.Too many birthdays this month. ha. ha. I GUESS!!!!! BZ

Anonymous said...

Totally confused! Ever since the kids got out of school, I have no idea what the heck is going on half of the time. I was going to re-enter a new comment before you saw it, when I realized that it was only the 30th. happy birthday NOT tomorrow,BUT on SATURDAY!!! I'd like to thank everybody for keepin me in check! Kim

Anonymous said...

Your welcome. I figured you got the dates confused. Your funny. Hey!!!!!!! at least you didn't forget. BZ