Missin the bike...
What's shakin, everyone?
Things are busy. Since I've been here, I've been pretty much going non-stop while onsite. Always something to do. I took two little breaks during the day today, about 10 minutes each. One to chat with my buddy Johnny and the other to look at some pictures I have on my computer. I spent a good part of the time reminiscing over the cycling pictures I've collected over the last few seasons...remembering the days they were taken...what was going on in my mind at the time...what point of the race it was...how much I was probably hurting...I miss the bike, but I find myself missing being fit, aside from, of course, being with cycling buddies at weekend races, grabbing breakfast after Mass, or catching a Jimmy John's sando at work. About one week before I left for this Peruvian shin-dig, I think I was approaching some of the best cycing form I had ever had. I got into the fastest sprint of my life and my resting heart rate was the lowest I've ever seen it...while I'm glad I was able to leave feeling so good...I can't help but wonder how I would have done at the races that have since are now in the past and those that lie ahead.
Contrary to being fit, I feel like a slug. Soft, slow, mooshy...you name it. Haven't had them endorphine thingys kick in lately. I find myself eating things that just 4 weeks ago I would have avoided if you put me in front of a smorgasboard. Part of me enjoys the hell out of it, the other part doesn't feel so good. There's not a whole lot to eat out here that's a.) convenient for a construction site, and b.) won't destroy my stomach. Now that I think about it, I could go for a nice juicy pear. There's that jungle gym out my window. I guess no one is stopping me from going out there to do some chins or pull ups...by golly, living 5 minutes from work, in the middle of cycling heaven, where it stays light out until 9:30 is a great thing I guess I never really appreciated until now. Somebody give me a swift kick in the pants...I need to pull my head out of my butt!
The contractor worked another long shift tonight, which meant I didn't leave until it was nice and dark out. Though the night sky is usually shrouded with patches of haze, the heavens along the coast were clear on the drive home, exposing the canopy of stars twinkling above. It has been awhile since I saw so many stars.
The stars coupled with a late night chicken and gravy dinny were a great way to end a long day. So, with that, time to hit the hay.
Till next time,
Scotty
1 comment:
Good words.
Post a Comment