I gotta new job...
What's the dizzo, folks?
I'm just chillin in the Ariosto hotel here in Miraflores...sippin back some hot chocolate on a comfy leather seat and listening to some Peruvian love songs, just a hint above a whisper, floating in the background. The contractor elected not to work this weekend, so Eder and I packed up and came into Lima yesterday afternoon.
Yesterday I spent the day mostly in the hotel...checking out some new groovin music and basically just relaxing. Today I made it a point to watch the Tour on tv before doing too much. Afterwards I hit mass and then went on another art buying binge. Treats for all! The big buy coming at the end of the day. I was on a mission to find my mother a great picture of something Peruvian...I thought I had it nestled away in my bag until, while woofing down a sandwich for lupper (too late for lunch...too early for supper), my eye caught a Cuscanean view across the street...no it wasn't that beautiful gal walking by...this beauty was standing on three legs, not two! I moseyd on over and THAT was the picture I envisioned my mom smiling to as she hung it up over the fireplace mantle. Watercolor, big, colorful but warm, people moving about...So, I did something I typically don't do...I returned the original 'winner' back to the artist...I could see that the fella was tore up about it, and I spotted him a few soles for going through the trouble of packaging up the painting and all. It's not that bad because I bought another piece from him earlier that day! Mom, I think you'll like this one.
So, on to the subject heading. Yep. I have a new job. I am now the Tuesday & Thursday night spinning instructor at the little gym next to the hotel. I'm pretty stoked. I've wanted to get back into leading spin classes again...never imagined I'd get my return gig in a small grungy coastal town in Peru!
Here's how it happened...Last Tuesday, I was talking to the gal at the front desk about how often they had spin classes and all that jazz. One way or another I translated that they had an opening on Thursday because the regular instructor (Yo-Yo...I swear, that's how it's pronounced. Probably Jo-Jo, but in Spanish, the "Js" are silent) was out. I let the gal know that I used to lead spinning classes back in the day and that if they needed someone to fill the class, I could help out, but only if Yo-Yo wouldn't get sore...because Yo-Yo's bigger than me and I didn't want to start anything. She assured me it was all skippy, so, I led my first Peruvian spin class last Thursday...a moderately structured workout with a mix of climbing and flat imaginary roads...applicable for the novice and advanced spinner alike.
Good gravy...those poor people...sadly, all they know how to do is schlnocker themselves into an oblivion on the bike. Yo-Yo's must be really one tough dude. I did my best, I really did, but I couldn't keep 'em on the mellow. I even drew a picture of the day's class ahead of time...a mixture of flat and sloped lines indicating what/how the "road" they were riding looked/should feel like...I bracketed the picture with the words "Muy Facil, Facil, Dificil, Muy Dificil" (Very Easy, Easy, Difficult, Very Difficult), with none of the "road" lines creeping higher than "Dificil"...but to no avail. When the game plan called for a fast, easy spin, half the class was out of the saddle fighting their way up a Peruvian equivalent to le Alpe d'Huez.
Afterwards, several people stayed behind and asked a few questions about this and that. It was quite encouraging. I think I have my hands full, but I'm looking forward to mixing some CDs and having fun in class.
That sums up the last couple days. Early morning drive back to the site tomorrow. The US consulate notes that this upcoming week may bring more strikes and what not...I'll keep you posted if things get riled up. Till next time, take care.
Scotty
1 comment:
It looks like the spinning will help strengthen your legs for the all the running you will have to do to get away from the club-happy teachers! As for the spinning instructor gig, be cautious of the one who ride w/ out a seat.....
Fitz
Post a Comment