Makin Changes
Hello again...(Did you know that the 80s band "The Cars" had a song called "Hello Again"?)
You may notice a few changes in how the blog looks. I monkeyed around with the settings to hopefully make the blogs easier to read. I don't know about your screen, but my posts were shoved all the way to the left in a narrow column with a whole bunch of free space on the right side of the page. Inserting pictures seemed to make things worse. In addition to the format, I figured I'd make an effort to post a new picture over there yonder on the right hand side of the screen each week. Hopefully that'll keep things fresh even when there isn't much to write about.
Never got the call to go into work today. I did spend a little time on work today, but not a whole lot I could do from here. I decided to venture out at around noon to return a pair of them knock-off Adidas warm up pants...the one-size fits all claim turned out to be a bust. Eder and Luis decided to stretch their legs with me. No sooner did we get outside the gate of the Columbus and turn the corner for main street, and here comes one of the protesting mobs!
This is a gaggle of angry high school teachers marching. Guess why they're marching...Low wages? Not enough textbooks for the students? Poor benefits? Nope...they're striking because the federal government wants them to take and pass a teaching proficiency exam. How dare the government! Obviously, the teachers don't want to take it. Are you kidding me?!? How sad is that? Nothing like thinking about the children and the future. After the teachers made it by, Eder, Luis and I made our way to return the warm ups...Of course, the place was closed today. No joke, but right as we exited the market, here comes another group of protesters. This group was a bit rougher looking as they seemed to be carrying wooden objects that did not look like the flag poles the teachers were carrying. Eder, Luis and I zipped our way back to safety without incident. For them alone it wasn't that big of deal, except for the fact that they were with one of the many pale-skinned gringos who stand about 6 inches taller than most of the population and is busy working on the very project the protesters are protesting against!
After that episode, I decided to keep it close to the Columbus and after a quick lunch at my favorite Chinchilian cafe, I spent the rest of the afternoon scanning articles ranging from a refresher on what "proletariat" really meant to tidbits on theology. Sounds like a real gas, huh?!?
Anyway, that's it for today, methinks. It's pushing 18:00 now and in an hour I'll probably meet up with a friend, then spend some time lifting heavy objects before calling it a night. You all have a good night and take care.
Scotty
4 comments:
Liberty Tax is the best!!!
I don't know how they did it, but they got me a much bigger refund!
So, do you think they would actually club you over the noggen if they found out that you were "one of the bad guys"? Just curious, if so, keep tucked away.
Well, Anonymous, that's something I dont' want to experiment with...I got word that the client packed up and bailed in the night...they may be going to Lima for protection...For the client to pack up all the troops and head offsite...that means there has to be a decent threat. Considering tear gas was used yesterday to keep the protestors back...my guess is that if they had a chance to billy club someone, they might.
Like anonymous said. Keep tucked away for the time being. I think we all feel that way. BZ
Post a Comment