11 July 2007

UHT...

Hey, Everyone.

If you notice the time this note was posted, you'll see that it is in the middle of the morning. Actually, right now it is exactly 10:24 am as I write this sentence...the Spanish announcers in the background describing the 5-man break in today's stage of the Tour de France. You see, I'm in my hotel room right now since a hoard of construction workers and high school teachers decided to strike and demonstrate today. I'm lucky that I'm staying at the Christoforus Columbus instead of El Sausal. The Sausal is where 90% of the contract0r's and owners's managers/reps are staying. Apparently, the angry mob is over there raising all sorts of hell. The Columbo may not have more than 2.5 stars, but at least I'm safe today.


I know I mentioned it to a few of you, but I've got to tell you about this milk I bought out here. Most of the milk that is sold is evaporated/canned stuff. Well, they have these liter boxes of milk that say "fresca" or "fresh" on them...then why the heck are they out on the shelves next to the cereal?!? UHT, my friends...UHT...Ultra High Temperature pasteurizing process...they cook that milk to some plasma-level temperature and then put it in the boxes and throw it on the shelves...2 year shelf life for this stuff! I've been craving a good hearty breakfast of oaty/wheaty cereal, so I broke down and gave it a shot...I wouldn't drink a glass solo, but chilled and mixed in with the cereal, it's not too bad.

Eder is back. We did a Spinning class together last night. It was his first class and he did really well, especially considering he smokes!

It's been awhile, but a quick update on the food situation down here. The food has gotten much better...either that or I've just gotten used to the grub. In any event, I now look forward to lunch and dinner. A new chef took over at the job site. Now we have hot veggies, roast pork/beef, and chicken that doesn't taste like the sole of a pair of Nikes...Lunch is good. Dinner is even better. There's this little cafe right next to the gym and boy, can Lila cook like a champ! Great fruit salad and although I haven't tapped into them, the fresh cakes and pies look awesome. Needless to say, I'm not going hungry these days.

That's about it. Time check some things out and then get some lunch. I'll let you know if the angry mob comes to the Columbus.

Cheers,

Scotty

No comments: